An absolute gem of a national park, Crater Lake is a place that everyone should visit! The astronomical views are great and should be experienced!
- Light Pollution: Black Zone
- Who Uses This Site: Open to General Public
- Gear that one can bring: Anything! Enough room for telescopes, tripods, etc..
- Photo Permit Required: Yes, if commercial filming is being done. Use the link to apply. Make sure to get one if there are questions: https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/commercial-film-and-photo-permits.htm
Notes/Suggestions: From personal suggestion: Hamilton Mountain is a great area to go, but note, might have to deal with lights from Klamath Falls and the Visitor Center when trying to shoot to the South. That is to the center of the Milky Way.
- How far outside of Portland? ~232-265 miles depending on route. 3.5 to 4.5 hour drive (not including stops and traffic)
- Google Maps Location https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crater+Lake+National+Parkemail@example.com,-122.2756398,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x54c6170840e5e339:0x902bf2e1452fe3a3!8m2!3d42.8684411!4d-122.1684785?hl=en
- # of spots: 30+ near lodge. Pullover spots are 20 or so.
- Cost For Parking–Free with entry pass.
- Cost of Entry Pass: Per Crater Lake NPS Site
- Cars – $25 in the summer (May 22-October 31), $15 in the winter (November 1-May 21). Admits one private, non-commercial vehicle (15-passenger capacity or less) and all occupants. Good for 7 days.
- Motorcycles – $20 in the summer (May 22-October 31), $15 in the winter (November 1-May 21). Admits one or two passengers on a private, non-commercial motorcycle. Good for 7 days.
- Bicycles & Pedestrians – $12 per individual. Admits one individual with no car (bicyclist, hiker, pedestrian). Youth 15 and under are admitted free of charge. Good for 7 days.
- Commercial Vehicles: Capacity of 1 to 6 passengers – $25 + $5 per passenger Capacity of 7 to 15 passengers – $75 Capacity of 16 to 25 passengers – $10. Capacity of 26 or more passengers – $200
- Entrance Permit(s) Required: Yes
- Where Permit(s) Can Be Obtained: Park Entrance or YourPassNow
|Mazama||June 15 to late September||CLOSED||6000′||214||$22 / $31||A, F, V, W, RV, S/L/S, DS, R||Max RV length 50′|
|Lost Creek||early July to mid-October||CLOSED||6000′||16||$10||F, N||Tents only|