Rooster Rock State Park is an amazing Oregon State Park for astronomy during an OMSI star party! The park isn’t normally open at night, unless there is a Star Party, so the closest location will be the Vista House.
For those who do not want to drive to Stub Stewart or other sites for Star Parties, consider coming here as it is a lovely location. Plus, there are a plethora of day options available!
- Light Pollution–>Yellow Zone
- Who Uses This Site–>Rose City Astronomers and OMSI for Star Parties
- Gear that one can bring–>Anything and everything
- How far outside of Portland? 25 miles, ~30 minutes
- Google Maps Location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rooster+Rock+State+Parkfirstname.lastname@example.org,-122.2386571,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x5495966a80aaa797:0x8eb146df1f9542f!8m2!3d45.5468328!4d-122.2364684
- # of spots: 100 or more
- Cost For Parking: Day Use Pass
- Parking Permit(s) Required: None
- Where Permit(s) Can Be Obtained: N/A
There are no Overnight Accommodations
The closest overnight accommodations would be Ainsworth State Park