Steens Mountain Wilderness is a great place for astronomy as it is so far away from city lights. Its remote location, also leads to it being hard to get to.
- Light Pollution: Black
- Who Uses This Site: Open To The Public
- Gear that one can bring: Anything! There is a lot of land to use!
- This a great area to look at the Nights Sky without interference from Light Pollution! There are many locations, but are worth the drive!
Note: A special use permit is required for large groups and those who will be commercially use (ie selling the astronomical photos for money or doing stargazing tours). More information can be found here
Warning: Steens Wilderness and surrounding areas does constitute a desert. Please pack accordingly and check out the following Bureau of Land Management site for what to expect. https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/recreation-activities/oregon-washington/steens-mountain
- How far outside of Portland? 370-450 miles depending on the route
- Google Maps Location https://www.google.com/maps/dir//Steens+Mountain,+Oregonemail@example.com,-123.0621272,7z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x54b6a4a998dbc9eb:0x7516c295c568319!2m2!1d-118.5766666!2d42.6363888!3e0
- Parking should be part of the cost of using the areas. Entry is free
Primitive camping is allowed on all Bureau of Land Management lands, unless otherwise marked.
There are several different camping spots inside the Steens Mountain boundary. See the BLM Brochure for more info: https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/documents/files/OR_SteensMountain_CMPA.pdf
A few of the campgrounds on site are:
1) Mann Lake –> Located inside Steens Mountain, this area is wonderful and allows pets. But the site is not reservable and more info can be found here
2) Fish Lake Campground — 23 campsites open June to October at 7,400-feet of elevation, 20 miles from Frenchglen. Not reservable. Contact Info And More Info at https://www.blm.gov/visit/fish-lake-recreation-site
3) Jackman Park Campground—6 spots that are 3 miles beyond Fish Lake at 7,800 feet of elevation. Reservations are not required. More information available courtesy of the outdoorproject
4) South Steens 36 family campsite at the heart of the wilderness area https://www.blm.gov/visit/south-steens-campground